Top Menu

A Primal Non-Dairy Coffee Creamer

I have been considering going without dairy for a few weeks just to see how my body responds, and while giving up cheese would be hard, it was the thought of living without coffee creamer that was holding me back from a whole-hearted commitment.   I guess an easy solution would be to give up coffee, but I was already giving up cheese.  I might spontaneously combust if I tried to do both at the same time.
And black coffee…I’ve tried to like it, I really have. But coffee without cream just makes me sad.  I have made a lot of positive changes in my diet and lifestyle over the past few years, but I don’t have any plans of giving up this…

While trying to figure out how to resolve the issue, I remembered seeing a post on the lowcarber.org site in the Paleolithic & Neanderthin forum  where someone was using a blend of coconut and egg to replace heavy whipping cream.  Margot wrote:

“…I tried coconut milk and it is not the same either, but a trick I have used before is to put an egg in a blender and then while blending to slooooooooooowly add melted coconut oil. Then stir in some coconut milk.  The egg makes it thicker and almost frothy and the lecithin in the egg keeps the oil from separating and floating on top. it was not the perfect thing, but it was as close as I could get with the fat and the thickness.”

I have tried plain coconut milk as well, and agree with Margot, it just didn’t get the job done.  But with an egg and coconut oil? I started envisioning something more like eggnog, and that sounded promising!

I remembered Margot’s post and the ingredients, but I didn’t go back and check the details until after I whipped up my first batch. I just dumped a can of coconut milk into the food processor, added one egg and 2 tablespoons of coconut oil.  And since I was thinking “eggnog”, I added a teaspoon of vanilla.

After blending all of the above in the food processor, I ended up with this:

Actually, this is after a few hours in the fridge.  The mixture is more like frothy milk immediately after making, but thickens up like cream after it is chilled.

I am thrilled with how this “seat of the pants” version turned out!  I think I probably used more milk and less oil  than Margot did  but she didn’t specify quantities.  And I am sure that I will tinker with the recipe a few dozen times before I am satisfied that I have found the right ratio.  This is more “coffee creamer art” than “coffee creamer science”.

The calorie count is virtually the same as heavy cream – 106 verses 103 for 2 tablespoons. And a quick nutritional comparison shows that heavy cream comes out on top in the vitamin category solely on the large content of Vitamin A.  But the Coconut Creamer is a clear winner in the mineral content (click to enlarge) :

Here’s the mineral content for the heavy cream:

I am happy to report that with the help of this coconut creamer I have had 4 painless dairy-free days that included a delicious cup of creamy coffee!

The only issue is if you leave your cup of coffee sitting too long, the coconut oil will form a film on top as it cools, but other than that, I enjoy this every bit as much, and possible even more, than the heavy cream.

Thanks for the inspiration Margot!!

October 13th, 2010 Update
After posting this, I received some great feedback and questions which I am responding to below:

1. Do you store it in the fridge and how long does it keep?  Yes, I do store it in the fridge and we use it up before it has a chance to go bad.  But it will definitely keep for a week.
  2. Does it harden?  Nope, it gets thick…too thick to pour, so it has to be spooned into the cup.
  3. Does the oil separate?  Not at all!
  4. Will I have scrambled egg in the bottom of my cup?  Only if you scramble some eggs in a skillet and put them in your cup. :-)
  5. Would this be good with berries for a dessert?  Going to find out this weekend but I am 99.9% sure the answer is yes.
November 5th, 2010 Update
Yesterday, I noticed this post was getting some higher than usual traffic, and found that it was coming from the forum over on Mark’s Daily Apple where a member had linked to this post and said:
“It the creamiest most delicious whipped cream you can imagine. I never used to put cream in my coffee but after trying this, now I do.”Sweet!!In the same thread,  another member wrote that according to Robb Wolf, author of  The Paleo Solution: The Original Human Diet, coconut helps to heal the digestive tract.  And sure enough, right on page 210, Wolf writes:”Coconut Milk: You can find this in the Asian foods section of most stores or take a drive to an Asian food market.  Coconut milk is delicious in curries and stews.  Coconut has potent antimicrobial action and helps heal irritation in the digestive tract.  But mainly, it’s delicious.”I have no problem finding coconut milk, but currently find that Target has the best price, almost $1.00 cheaper that local grocery chains.

, ,

143 Responses to A Primal Non-Dairy Coffee Creamer

1. Food, flora and felines October 11, 2010 at 10:37 pm #

Oh my god, you life saver thanks so much for writing about this! I can’t wait to give it a go and to secretly test it out on my very fussy boyfriend. I love your blog, I have a similar one (without such good pictures!) where I blog about my primal recipes and other adventures here:

You most definately deserve a special place on my primal blogroll so I’ll be adding you tomorrow. I really am so pleased I found this place :)
    Take care,
    Khrystyna

2. Patty October 11, 2010 at 11:10 pm #

Thanks so much Khrystyna! I would love to know if you can sneak this into your boyfriend’s coffee! :-) I took a quick peek at you blog, and I know I will be hanging out at you place often, and your pictures are stunning!

3. Margot October 12, 2010 at 1:05 pm #

I am so honored!!! I love how yours turned out and I am definitely going to be trying this as soon as I get my hands on some more good coconut milk. (the stuff I get locally is terrible and tastes like tin).

You need to come up with a catchy name for this.

4. tulipwood October 12, 2010 at 1:12 pm #

wow this sounds and looks delish – but how well does it keep – this looks like enough to last me a few days.

tx

5. Patty October 12, 2010 at 1:15 pm #

Well, I was thinking about “Margot’s Primal Creamer” or something like that! What do you think? :-)

I need to find a better source of coconut cream as well. I am using the Thai Kitchen brand for now, and it is the better than any other brands we have tried so far.

And thanks again Margot, I truly would not be on my 5th dairy free day without your help!!

6. Patty October 12, 2010 at 1:16 pm #

Hi tulipwood, so far it has lasted 6 days so it seems to keep very well!

7. Tiffany October 12, 2010 at 3:15 pm #

Oh – YEA!!! I’ve been thinking of going dairy free, but the thought of giving up cream in my coffee practically makes me cry!! I can’t wait to try this.

8. Anonymous October 12, 2010 at 11:52 pm #

How do you keep this? In the fridge? I am thinking I can do this with my magic bullet. Oh cream is the only thing that prevents me from going dairy-free. This is awesome, awesome, awesome! — andrea

9. Patty October 13, 2010 at 12:09 am #

Thanks Tiffany, and that is exactly how I felt. :-)

Thanks Andrea, and yes I have it in the fridge in a tightly sealed container. It lasted 6 days, and might have lasted longer but we used it up!

Good luck to you both with going dairy-free. I am starting to lose count but I think today was day 5 for me, and so far so good!

10. Anonymous October 14, 2010 at 12:32 am #

Haha! Just found you through the Real Food Wednesday link because you said the magic word… coffee! You might be interested in a variation of this I discovered a while back by playing around with these ingredients.

I take an egg and a teaspoon or so of honey and blend them in my coffee mug using a handheld immersion blender. You can use vanilla and nutmeg here if you like too.
    I pour in about 2 shots worth of espresso (I have a marvelous little Italian stovetop coffeepot that makes espresso strength coffee but way less bitter than the big name chain that we all know)while blending, then pour in about 1/2 can of coconut milk.
    If I use a mug that is larger than the amount of stuff I put in it, I can keep blending and get it really fluffy like an eggnog cappuccino that some coffee shop or other makes in winter.

I went dairy -free out of necessity (it was making me sick), but it was not as difficult as I feared. Good luck to you guys with your dairy free adventures!
    –Former Cheese Addict

11. Patty October 14, 2010 at 1:10 am #

Thanks for sharing that! It sounds delicious! I have one of those coffee pots, I really should use it more often. Maybe I will now! :-)

Yeah, it hasn’t been as hard as I thought it would be without the cheese…I am really surprised!

Thanks for coming by!

12. Adriana October 18, 2010 at 12:45 pm #

This might just make dropping dairy manageable to me. Like you, straight coconut milk is not cutting it…

I will have to wait another 24 days to finish my antiinflammstion Whole 30 program before I can try it.

Until then I will try an eggless version I found on the web: chill a can of coconut milk in the refrigerator for at least one day, drain off the water, whip the solids….

This has inspired me to investigate coconut milk yougurt.

13. Patty October 18, 2010 at 3:07 pm #

Thanks for the note Adriana, and that is an excellent egg-free substitute, and a good back up plan in case I run out of eggs!

I attempted to make some coconut yogurt this summer, and it was certainly edible, but thin. Hope you have better luck with it, and also with your 30 day program!

14. Lori November 6, 2010 at 12:19 am #

This is fantastic!! I am going to try it out tomorrow morning!! I can’t wait!! :D I am momofredheads by the way from MDA.

15. lizch November 6, 2010 at 3:17 am #

I left a comment at MDA just now, but realized I should probably go straight to the source.

I just tried to make this. Instead of the nice white froth, my attempt produced a curdled beige mess. Tasted great in the coffee, but looks truly disgusting before being added. What did I do wrong? The coconut milk was cold (from the fridge). I heated the coconut oil to melt it. Were either of those steps wrong?

16. Patty November 6, 2010 at 4:18 am #

Hey Lori, I’ll be checking out your blog tomorrow! Thanks for stopping by and good luck with the creamer!

Lizch, I am so sorry it turned out that way for you. I have just always used everything at room temp. But I’m in Georgia, so I can see where you had to melt your coconut oil. I have never put the coconut milk in the fridge before making the creamer, so I suspect the cold milk and warm oil is what caused the disgusting part. I am glad that it still tastes OK, but next time, if you are willing to try it again, I would try to get all the ingredients as close to room temp as possible.

17. lizch November 6, 2010 at 4:35 am #

I will definitely try it again, because the taste alone is worth it even if I never make it look pretty, and this could be the key for me going dairy free for a month. Up till reading about your recipe, I honestly didn’t thing I could go without milk in coffee. Now I’m sure I can!

Will try it with room temp ingredients next time. Approx how long do you process it for?

18. Patty November 6, 2010 at 4:27 pm #

Oh good Lizch! I just hate it when I waste food so I am glad you don’t feel like it was a total loss!

I usually just process mine for a minute or two. If you can get your coconut oil melted, but not hot, and then drizzle it in to the coconut milk and egg mixture while the food processor is running, it will probably make it a lot thicker. I usually just dump everything in, hit the on button and let it do its thing.

I ran out of the creamer last week, and used some heavy whipping cream in a cup of coffee. I didn’t like it anymore!! The bad thing is, it’s going to be hard to enjoy a cup of coffee away from home now. The good thing is, other than that one cup of coffee and one run in with cheese (oops), I haven’t had any other dairy for over 3 weeks!

Hope you have a better batch this time!

19. lizch November 6, 2010 at 6:34 pm #

Oh, I haven’t wasted it….I’ve had it twice today, once in tea and once in coffee. Awesome. The really funny thing is that it’s TOTALLY solid this morning after a night in the fridge. I have to dig a spoonful out and then add it to the drink, where it instantly dissolves. Maybe I’ll always make it like this? :)

And yay on 3 weeks without dairy…I’m at about 20 hours I think!

20. Lori November 7, 2010 at 12:13 am #

I tried it this morning Patty and it came just right for me, but my coconut milk was at room temperature. This is my new favorite coffee addition :D

21. lizch November 9, 2010 at 3:14 pm #

My second batch was exactly right. I made it in my stand mixer using the whisk attachment and it worked beautifully.

So the key, I think, is room temperature coconut milk!

22. Melissa 'Melicious' Joulwan January 6, 2011 at 3:49 pm #

Thanks so much for this! I just started a caffeine-free commitment and am loving Celestial Seasonings Bengal Spice tea… it’s like decaf chai. I’ve been putting a little coconut milk in it to make it creamy, but this sounds even better. Can’t wait to try it!

23. Patty January 6, 2011 at 5:10 pm #

Wow, that sounds really good Melissa! I am headed out for a few groceries and I think I will have to pick up some of that tea! I really hope you like it. BTW, you have such a great recipe collection!

24. Claudia January 14, 2011 at 11:56 pm #

I just made this today but haven’t tried it in my coffee yet. Looking forward to it. Going to go dairy free if this does the trick. I am using fitday and want to add this as a custom food. Can you give me more info besides calories? “The calorie count is virtually the same as heavy cream – 106 verses 103 for 2 tablespoons.” How much fat in a serving of 2T and how many carbs in that same serving? I am tracking all of this. Thanks.

25. Patty January 15, 2011 at 12:07 am #

I hope it works for you Claudia! I have recently starting adding a little cinnamon to mine…yum.

According to my tool, 2 Tablespoons would have 1 gram protein, 1 gram carbs, and 11 grams of fat. Let me know if you need anything else, and good luck with the dairy free. Patty

26. Claudia January 15, 2011 at 12:24 am #

Thanks Patty. I am drinking it right this minute and it really is delicious. Wow! I think I can actually do this dairy free thing after all :) . I only put in 1 Tablespoon so it has .5g each of protein and carbs and rounding up 6g of fat. Amazing! It’s good to know I can have the 2T if I’m having a bigger cup of decaf.

27. Claudia January 15, 2011 at 12:29 am #

One more question before I start bathing in this stuff. My coconut milk comes in a can and it’s organic coconut meat. A 1/4 cup serving size has 11g fat and 2g of carbs and 1g of protein. Is that similar to yours?

Thanks Patty.

28. Patty January 15, 2011 at 12:56 am #

Yay! Glad you like it Claudia. :-) Yes, that breakdown is very similar to mine, so those numbers should be pretty accurate for any full fat coconut milk. Take care, and check back in sometime!!

29. Tirzah January 28, 2011 at 6:41 pm #

OK, I’ve been making and enjoying this for weeks now. However, a small note that I just discovered that maybe you can append for your readers:

If you add a spoonful of this cream to a mug of BOILING HOT water (vs., say, microwave-heated water?) you, um, *will* get a certain “floating scrambled eggs” effect. It doesn’t taste like scrambled eggs or anything, but it’s definitely coagulated. Worth it, though!

30. Patty January 28, 2011 at 9:24 pm #

Thanks for letting me know that Tirzah! There’s a couple of comments I need to add to the post, and yours is definitely one of them. Glad you are enjoying it despite the floating scrambled eggs! :-)

31. VanderbiltWife February 6, 2011 at 10:40 pm #

What a great tip! I will put it to use. I’m trying to go dairy-free for the sake of my nursing infant; he seems to have some dairy intolerance. Almond milk is just not doing the job in my coffee.

Jessie

32. Patty February 7, 2011 at 12:29 am #

Yes, almond milk is jut too watery for me. I hope this dose the job for you Jessie! Thanks for stopping by!

33. Anonymous February 8, 2011 at 5:01 pm #

Do you use the entire egg or just the egg white ?

34. Patty February 8, 2011 at 5:24 pm #

Hi A, I use the whole egg!

35. Anonymous February 10, 2011 at 7:14 pm #

Hi All: Can I use the product made by Silk called Coconut Milk? I have discovered that the nutritional content seems very different. For instance, it has only 80 calories. Is that version of coconut milk considered okay or do I need to find the canned stuff?

36. Patty February 10, 2011 at 7:22 pm #

Hi A.! I’m not familiar with that product. I looked on their website for it, but don’t see it listed. I would check the ingredients, and I bet you will find it contains too much sugar. Most grocery stores, and even Wal-mart and Target Super Stores carry the canned variety…look in the oriental section. You can even order it on Amazon. Hope that helps!

37. Anonymous February 10, 2011 at 7:50 pm #

Hi Patty: Thanks, I was worried about that. It does have sugar – 16 g. But so good. I’ll look for the canned milk now. All the best – Pam

38. Patty February 10, 2011 at 7:56 pm #

You are welcome, and thank you!
    To you too. :-)

39. Elizabeth February 15, 2011 at 9:38 pm #

I’m doing a dairy-free trial and this has saved my butt in the morning. So good! I love how it foams in the coffee too, makes me feel like I’m drinking a latte. :) I think it could probably do double duty as whipped cream too. Anyway, thanks for the great recipe!

40. Patty February 15, 2011 at 11:52 pm #

I know the feeling Elizabeth! as long as I take the time to make it right, it always satisfies. It’s actually so good that I end up having a liquid breakfast sometimes. :-) Glad it is working for you too!

41. Gina and Family March 2, 2011 at 5:22 pm #

Starting the Whole 30 diet on Monday with my husband. This was the ONLY thing that made me nervous: Coffee, without cream.
    Now I’m so excited to have a sufficient substitute. Yay! Thank you so much! Can’t wait to try it out!

42. Patty March 2, 2011 at 8:10 pm #

You are so welcome Gina! I need to update the post, but be sure to read the comments if you haven’t already. And it really is best after it is in the fridge overnight. Hope it does the trick for you!

43. Anonymous April 4, 2011 at 11:31 pm #

I am enjoying my first coffee with this creamer in it and it is soooo good! i am dairy free and trying to give up soy milk and this will make it very easy. Thank you!

44. Patty April 4, 2011 at 11:35 pm #

Yay!! Another happy customer! :-) I’m planning to do an update to the post soon, so check back soon. :-)

45. Tazchick April 7, 2011 at 9:41 am #

Anyone else thinking of putting this stuff through an ice cream freezer?

46. Patty April 7, 2011 at 12:00 pm #

Tazchick for president! :-) With a few fresh berries…now that’s a dessert!

47. Esther Dunlap April 28, 2011 at 12:37 pm #

Made this earlier and had in my coffee this morning. It is fantastic! Finally found a way to let go of the spoonful of sugar I always want in my morning cup. Thank you!

48. Patty April 28, 2011 at 1:21 pm #

That’s wonderful Esther! Thanks for letting me know. :-)

49. Anonymous May 8, 2011 at 8:03 pm #

Thanks so much for the recipe! I made it last night and had it this am = worked perfectly! Although mine did not thicken as much as yours.
    Was wondering if someone could post the nutritional/calorie breakdown (fat, carbs, protein etc)? I’d like to add it to my Fitday food log.
    Thanks!

50. Patty May 9, 2011 at 6:26 pm #

Hi A, I think a lot of the thickness depends on the brand of coconut milk and the temperature of all of the ingredients. I’ve had some misses myself, especially when the coconut oil is solid at room temp. I REALLY am going to do an updated post soon, but in the mean time here’s the breakdown for a tablespoon based on my calculations: 0.702 grams protein, 0.559 grams carbs, and 5.706 grams fat.

51. Starduster May 10, 2011 at 3:05 am #

The breakdown helps so much. I’m off to add it to my fitday… Looking fwd to the updated post with your tips and tweaks. It really is a great creamer and I’m grateful you posted it!

52. Anonymous May 15, 2011 at 8:19 pm #

Thanks so much! I just stumbled upon this recipe in a search for a non-dairy soyless creamer. It’s fantastic! You’ve just solved a dilemma I’ve had for years. Thanks again!

53. Patty May 16, 2011 at 1:24 am #

That’s wonderful to hear! Thank you for letting me know! :-)

54. Kar June 10, 2011 at 7:27 pm #

Very tasty! And I’m now off dairy and sugar, coffee was the only thing I couldn’t get past, and this fixed it. Mine separates every single time though. I have tried to be careful that everything is at room temperature. Sometimes room temperature is a little brisk here in the northeast though!

Still I like it. I’ve also added cacao powder to it, and some cinnamon, and poured it over blueberries. Needs lots of mixing, but very good!

55. Patty June 13, 2011 at 12:29 am #

That’s really interesting Kar…I have never had a batch separate that I can recall. I’m really curious what is causing that for you, because that’s kind of a pain. Feel free to leave more info if you want help trying to resolve it. But I am glad you are enjoying it!

56. Fit B July 21, 2011 at 12:11 pm #

Looks good thanks for sharing I will have to try it. I use so delicious coconut milk creamer in my coffee right now and its not bad

57. WhatAboutJason July 21, 2011 at 12:57 pm #

It may not be completely Primal, but i have learned to live with just using a little Silk vanilla almond milk

58. Peggy the Primal Parent July 22, 2011 at 4:03 pm #

Throwing an egg in a blender for long enough to fluff it up may not be a great alternative to cream. Egg whites are delicate things and are denatured when fluffed. I wouldn’t make a habit of this, personally. It might lead to an egg white allergy or it’ll just be taxing on your liver.

I quit drinking cream when I eliminated dairy. Just tough it out for a few weeks with really excellent americanos and before you know it, you’ll have built a taste for black coffee.

59. Jules July 25, 2011 at 5:48 pm #

I switched from Native Forest organic coconut milk to Taste of Thai, and my creamer came out even better! It got a lot thicker in the fridge- I had it atop some strawberries for breakfast today. Thanks Patty, for my new obsession! :)

60. chris August 13, 2011 at 6:32 pm #

i love u.

61. Patty August 28, 2011 at 10:14 pm #

@Peggy the Primal Parent, thanks for your comment and my apologies for not responding sooner. I did a quick google on denatured egg whites, and it appears that the same thing happens when you boil them. Do you recommend avoiding egg whites all together? Or just for people with sensitivities? Thanks again.

Jules – I have stwitched to a different brand too. If you can ever find Arory-D, it’s 100% coconut milk, and the best I have ever had!
    http://nomnompaleo.com/post/1356434305/me-likey-aroy-d-coconut-milk. And thanks for sharing this on Paleo Hacks!

And chris, I love u too. :-)

62. Helen: kjernesunn-nordkvinne.blogspot.com September 1, 2011 at 8:41 pm #

wow.. this is the perfect solution to so many challenges when you want to avoid cow milk! Thank you!!

I found you through this blog post:

63. Patty September 1, 2011 at 11:32 pm #

Hi Helen, I’m so happy to see that the recipe is being used in Norway! Wow!! Thanks for sharing that and I’m super glad to hear you like it! :-)

64. Anonymous September 26, 2011 at 1:24 pm #

Anyone tried using this in iced coffee?

Chris

65. Patty September 26, 2011 at 4:42 pm #

Yes Chris! I have and so have others that have tweeted or mentioned it on Mark’s Daily Apple forums, and it works very well!

66. Anonymous September 26, 2011 at 6:54 pm #

Yeah!! thanks, perfect timing, my coconut oil just came in the mail today, going to make a batch right now! So excited, thanks, did I already say that, well, thanks! Chris

67. Patty September 27, 2011 at 1:10 am #

LOL Chris! Hope it works out well for you.

68. Me September 27, 2011 at 9:33 pm #

Hi,

Would you mind sharing how much coconut oil and how much coconut milk you use for one egg? This sounds great.

Thanks,
    Kania

69. Me September 27, 2011 at 9:35 pm #

Sorry – never mind. Just saw the amounts. :)

70. Jill September 27, 2011 at 11:55 pm #

Thanks for linking your great post to FAT TUESDAY. Hope to see you next week! Be sure to visit RealFoodForager.com on Sunday for
    Sunday Snippets – your post from Fat Tuesday may be featured there!

71. Patty September 28, 2011 at 10:33 am #

Hi Kania, I do need to redo this post…I keep sayin’ that but never get around to doing it. Hope the recipe works for you!

72. Jill October 2, 2011 at 1:12 am #

hI,
    I featured your link from Fat Tuesday on my Sunday Snippets. Check it out! Thanks for sharing and hope to see you next week!

73. Vanessa December 9, 2011 at 7:30 pm #

Patty, thank you so much for this recipe. I just blogged about my recent run-in with casein and the need to give up my beloved heavy cream in my morning coffee. I made this, twice now and both my husband and myself love it. I linked to this post as well as Chow/Dessertstalker on my blog post. I also gave you full credit for the recipe. Thanks for all you do! ~Vanessa @ Healthy Living How To

74. Patty December 11, 2011 at 10:10 pm #

So glad you are finding it useful Vanessa! Believe it or not, I now prefer this or even plain coconut milk in my coffee over heavy cream. The few times I have tried dairy of some sort in coffee in the past year made me wonder what I liked about it the first place! thanks for the kind words and the links. :-)

75. Rachel January 24, 2012 at 11:52 pm #

I think I know why this works better with taste of thai coconut milk: they have some sort of emulsifier in that brand that keeps the fat suspended in the liquid. If you have the type of CM that separates into a fat layer and a liquid layer, try this: warm the can enough to make the fat liquid (so, above 76 degrees F). I put mine next to the woodstove for a while, but a pot of warm water would work. Shake well. Once it’s all shaken up, the fat will stay suspended at cool room temp, or at least mine did. Worked great first try, nice and thick and creamy. Thanks for the recipe! This is fantastic with chai tea.

76. Patty January 30, 2012 at 2:45 am #

Thanks for the excellent tip Rachel!

77. Anonymous January 30, 2012 at 4:24 pm #

would adding lecithin work in place of the egg?

78. Anonymous February 1, 2012 at 4:40 pm #

Love this creamer recipe! Makes it much easier to leave behind regular coffee creamer. Thanks so much!

79. Anonymous April 17, 2012 at 6:24 pm #

Has anyone tried lecithin powder or any other emulsifier in place of the egg?

80. Anonymous April 25, 2012 at 2:58 pm #

hi, could I use unsalted butter in place of the coconut oil. Im from Colombia where coconuts fall from palm trees in our baackyards yet we do not seem to be using the oil for anything other than cosmetics. We do cook with lots of fresh coconut milk.

This recipe makes me want to ditch gut-irritating dairy!

81. Patty April 25, 2012 at 3:16 pm #

About lecithin: I’ve never tried it or seen where anyone else has tried it…sorry. If I had some on hand I would test it out for you, but unfortunately it’s not something we use.

About unsalted butter: That’s sounds like an excellent idea! And if you send me directions to your home in Columbia, I know about 1000 people who will gladly come gather all your unwanted coconuts! :-) I’d love to hear if the recipe works with the butter, and if you can ditch the dairy. Good luck!

82. Anonymous April 28, 2012 at 4:40 am #

Thanks, Patty. I appreciate your response.

83. caiti April 30, 2012 at 2:02 pm #

made this today, tastes wonderful! also had some of this cream with berries, delicious…. added a little nutmeg to my cream mix and used maple syrup for sweetener. very good

84. Anonymous May 22, 2012 at 3:35 pm #

Adding nutmeg sounds like a wonderful addition! I add 2-Tbls ghee made from unsalted Kerry-Gold butter, Trader Joes’s Coconut milk (no BPA, no gums), and 1-Tbls coconut oil to Trader Joe’s organic, fair trade, shade grown, Ethiopian medium dark roast coffee (damn that’s a mouth full). Blend it w/ a stick blender until you get a frothy head. It’s my spin on “Bulletproof Coffee” from the “Bulletproof Executive”: http://www.bulletproofexec.com/how-to-make-your-coffee-bulletproof-and-your-morning-too/

85. Victoria July 9, 2012 at 5:37 pm #

I’m curious about making this creamer, but I’m wondering about the raw egg. Do you add vanilla to “cook” the egg to prevent samonella poisoning?

86. Patty July 12, 2012 at 12:18 am #

Hi Victoria, we get our eggs from a local organic farmer that is meticulous about caring for their hens and in the handling of their eggs. I use their raw eggs in Cesar salad dressings and other recipes often and without hesitation because salmonella cases are almost always from factory farmed, poorly raised chickens, and The Egg Safety Center says that 1 egg in 20,000 may contain salmonella. I’m not saying it couldn’t happen from local organic eggs, but it’s just not near as likely: http://homesteadrevival.blogspot.com/2010/08/salmonella-and-organic-eggs.html.
    In many places in Europe, they don’t even refrigerate eggs.
    But if it’s still a concern, maybe you can try it without the egg and see if you like it. I’ve actually made it that way when I was out of eggs, and it was still pretty good!

87. ashley July 15, 2012 at 4:42 am #

Ok this looks fantastic. However, my problem is that I’m currently 8 months pregnant. Do you think this is safe when pregnant? I only worry about the raw egg. I use local eggs (we live in Japan) and they are pretty safe, but I worry about eating them raw. Do you think this is ok now or should I wait until after baby is born?

Love your site!

88. Patty July 15, 2012 at 4:59 pm #

Thanks Ashley! And congratulations on the pending arrival of your new bundle of joy!

I think I would personally leave out the egg white, but enjoy it with the yolk, based on information from here:

89. Erica August 14, 2012 at 2:29 am #

Made this tonight — but used melted cocoa butter instead of coconut oil. Love it!!

90. Patty August 14, 2012 at 2:35 am #

Erica…that sounds so good! I’ve actually been drinking my coffee black for a while, but I might have to give that a try!!

91. sara kate October 13, 2012 at 6:04 pm #

omg. THANK YOU!! i’ve been primal/paleo for a couple of years but just recently kicked the dairy for good. i haven’t really missed my coffee, but i do love nothing more than a big creamy cup of it on a sunday morning. i’m going to make this tomorrow. when you blended in the food processor, did you use melted coconut oil or did you just spoon it in?

92. Patty October 15, 2012 at 10:05 pm #

Hey Sara, so sorry that I didn’t respond sooner. We were off line over the weekend. But I did very gently melt the coconut oil and let it cool down as much as possible. If the coconut oil is too warm, it doesn’t work very well. I hope it turned out OK for you!

93. Praxis December 19, 2012 at 2:40 am #

For those who can’t have raw egg, see if you can source dried egg powder (made with whole eggs, no fillers), this gas no salmonella risk. For those with funny coconut milk locally, see if you can get coconut cream. It’s higher in fat so should emulsify nicely. Places which sell palm sugar and tamarind will often have real coconut milk & cream.

94. Patty December 19, 2012 at 2:51 am #

Thanks for the comment and suggestions Praxis!

95. Lori January 17, 2013 at 1:46 am #

Thank you for this recipe. I made it this morning and I feel like it is filling the missing part of my morning routine – Today’s coffee was reminiscent of my lattes back in my dairy days. Thank you!

96. Patty January 20, 2013 at 7:25 pm #

So glad to hear that Lori! That’s how I felt when I first starting making this. Funny, I’ve been drinking my morning coffee black now for a little over a year, and actually prefer it that way. but I never would have made that transition without this creamer. And occasionally, I’ll make a small batch of this to have in a decaf for a warm treat on movie night! Enjoy. :)

97. Samantha January 22, 2013 at 7:01 pm #

Seriously, you just made my life so much easier. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!

98. Patty January 22, 2013 at 7:03 pm #

Great to hear Samantha!

99. Valerie January 26, 2013 at 5:33 am #

I’ve made this a few times and have enjoyed it! Mine never whips up as thick as yours does, which I’m thinking might be due to different proportions. Any chance you could measure next time you make it so we can see how much of each ingredient you’re actually using?

Also, do you think I could use cocoa butter in place of the coconut oil?

100. Patty February 2, 2013 at 2:28 am #

Hi Valerie, the proportions are there but just not obvious: “I just dumped a can of coconut milk into the food processor, added one egg and 2 tablespoons of coconut oil. And since I was thinking “eggnog”, I added a teaspoon of vanilla.” The coconut milk was Thai Kitchens – 13.6 ounce can. I absolutely think you could use coconut butter, and wish I had thought of that. I will tell you that sometimes it doesn’t get as creamy as others, and I have the best luck when the coconut oil is at room temp. But next time we make it, which isn’t very often, now that I drink my coffee black, I’ll try to make some more notes and update…something I’ve been meaning to do forever!

101. Angela February 9, 2013 at 12:35 pm #

I use the Silk Dark Chocolate Almond milk, and love it! I will have to try this recipe. Any concern with the raw egg?

102. Kim February 9, 2013 at 1:48 pm #

I would like to pin this recipe but don’t see a button. So I started following you on Pinterest so I could just re-pin it but can’t figure out which board would have it! I looked on the Coconut board, but it wasn’t there…

103. Patty February 9, 2013 at 3:51 pm #

Hi Kim, I obviously need to make it easier to pin from this blog. :-) The creamer is on the “paleo/primal drinks board”, and I just added it to the “coconut is good for everything” board. Also, all of my recipes are on Chowstalker, and there’s a pin it button on each “recipe card” that is super easy to us. Really appreciate you bring this to my attention, and hope you enjoy the creamer.

104. Patty February 9, 2013 at 3:58 pm #

Hi Angela, we get our eggs from a local farm where the hens get to run around some and aren’t confined to crowded cages. Eggs from factory farms are more likely to be contaminated with salmonella. We personally feel comfortable with it but if you don’t have a trusted egg source or if you have a compromised immune system, it might not be worth taking the small risk. Thanks for asking – good question!

105. candace February 11, 2013 at 3:08 pm #

“Do no harm. Let food be your medicine.” Hippocrates

106. Geri March 15, 2013 at 3:32 pm #

I do not know what I’m doing wrong but I think the creamer taste terrible. I love Starbucks coffee and it doesn’t even change the color. I really need to get off the milk products but I just can not give up my coffee and I just can’t stomach it black.
    I tried it with Thai kitchen coconut milk. Whipped with an egg and coconut oil (that was hard). Would warmed coconut oil work better. ? Should it be whipped in the hot coffee ?
    Does anyone have any other ideas for creamer. ? Thanks

107. Marilyn March 17, 2013 at 6:25 pm #

This is surprisingly very good!

I was wondering how close it was to real cream and I would say in closeness, it’s about an 8 to 9 out of 10. I could not use a blender so I used a bowl mixer and beat the egg really well first, then added about 2 tbsp melted coconut oil, then a 1/2 can of coconut milk (mostly the thick part on top). It was plenty thick enough without refrigerating it first.

Thank you so much for posting this, I haven’t had a cup of coffee in over a month (since diagnosed with a milk allergy), so this is heaven!

108. Patty March 18, 2013 at 9:04 pm #

Geri, sorry that the creamer isn’t working for you. It definitely works better with coconut oil that isn’t hard. But if that doesn’t do the trick, maybe you could add some coconut butter to get your coffee the color you like. Other than that, I’m kinda stumped. But maybe you’ll get some more suggestions or can play around with the recipe until it works for ya. Good luck!

109. Patty March 18, 2013 at 9:08 pm #

Glad you like it Marilyn. Funny, after a few months of using this I couldn’t tolerate the taste of dairy in my coffee at all. It always smelled “sour”. So I grew to like this better than real cream but it took some time! I’m really glad you were able to enjoy a cup o’ joe!!

110. Penny Trosclair March 21, 2013 at 10:12 pm #

I was wondering why you didn’t use the “gum”? Mine won’t thicken, so I was thinking about adding xanthan gum or using more coconut cream? Also, how much do you normally have to add to your coffee. When I made it, I added 2 TBS to my coffee, but it was very liquidy, and also my coffee was pretty dark still!

111. Lauren March 23, 2013 at 4:33 pm #

Hi. I’ve recently gone paleo. The whole “no dairy” thing isn’t that much of a problem for me as I have been avoiding it for some time due to dairy intolerance. I am though, having issues giving up my Coconut Cream Coffee Mate in my coffee. I also have recently found out that I have a REALLY bad egg intolerance to both the yolk and whites. This has come to be difficult for me, especially in recipes. I know that flax and chia seeds can be used as egg alternatives in some cases. I was wondering if you know of, or if there is an alternative for the egg in this recipe?
    You feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Lauren

112. Patty March 26, 2013 at 2:17 am #

I’m not of fan of xanthan gum for health reasons, but adding more coconut cream is a good option. I used roughly 2 tablespoons as well Penny. Most people seem to get good results and I’m not sure why it doesn’t work for others. Try to make sure your egg is at room temp, and the coconut oil is liquid but just barely. Also you may want to try a different brand of coconut milk or draining off the liquid. Thanks for the feedback.

113. Patty March 26, 2013 at 2:23 am #

Hi Lauren, I haven’t tried this recipe but here’s a version without egg:

And here’s one more:

I’m not sure the flax or chia would be good in this recipe. I’m only seem them as an egg substittue in baking, but hey…might be worth making a small batch and see how it goes! Good luck, Patty

114. MOrgan April 11, 2013 at 2:08 pm #

I’ve made this several times already and I always mean to come here and say THANK YOU!!! But I always forget ;) I love this and it makes saying goodbye to “creamer” so much more pleasant!!

Thanks!

115. Patty April 11, 2013 at 2:14 pm #

That’s so wonderful to hear Morgan and I’m so glad it is working well for you!

116. Baba Ghanoush May 21, 2013 at 2:18 pm #

Peggy, unless you are eating your eggs raw, you are denaturing them.

117. Jaci July 3, 2013 at 9:45 pm #

I was so excited to see this but I haven’t tried it yet because it never frothed up for me? I tried it in the food processor first and it mixed but that’s it…so o read through the comments and saw 1 lady had the same problemdo to cold coconut milk (which i didnt have but oh well) so she did it on her kitchen aid with the wisk so I switched it over to that and let it go for a full 2 minutes…still nothing but mixed up!???
    I put it in a jar in the fridge hoping either it’ll get thicker in there arr it at least works in my coffee….I’m on day 3 of my whole 30 and can NOT do black coffee!! Any help would be greatly appreciated…the only thing I can think of is that I accidently got the “lite” coconut milk??

118. Patty July 4, 2013 at 10:41 am #

Hey Jaci, I’ve never tried it with light coconut milk, so that could be the issue. The only time I have had it turn out not well was when I tried to heat the coconut oil to melt it. It seems to work best when all of the ingredients are at room temp, with room temp meaning that it is warn enough that the coconut oil is somewhat liquid. The good news is that most people report it still tastes good in the coffee and mixes well…no scrambled eggs floating around. However, if it still doesn’t work for you there are a few other coffee creamer recipes on Chowstalker:
    Good luck with your Whole30 and with the creamer!

119. sally chippendale July 7, 2013 at 3:34 am #

I’ve been paleo for a few months (except for milk in my coffee) i also have tried to like it black but it just depresses me. I need decent coffee in my life, i’ve already switched to swiss water decaf, take out the milk and it might as well be organic dirt. You are a life saver, brilliant! Thank you so much for sharing. :)

120. Patty July 7, 2013 at 11:31 am #

Hey Sally, that is so good to hear! Thanks for making my Sunday morning, and glad you can enjoy your cup o’ joe again. Just for the record, most people that follow paleo principles have come to accept that if dairy doesn’t cause problems for you, especially if you can get your hands on some good quality dairy, a little cream in your coffee is fine, just not while doing a Whole30. :)

121. Bob August 11, 2013 at 7:30 am #

Peggy, cooked eggs are denatured. Cooked meat is denatured. Curdled milk is denatures thus cottage cheese contains denatured proteins. Where on earth do you get the idea that denatured proteins can lead to food allergies? Taxing on the liver?

122. Lisa October 8, 2013 at 7:20 am #

I just made this recipe last night and it turned out well. It has worked in both hot and cold drinks. The only problem I had is that it separated a little in the fridge overnight. There is maybe about 20% of the mixture that is semi clear in the bottom of the storage container. I checked my coconut milk and it contains 25% water. Do you think that’s what’s in the bottom of the storage container?

123. Patty October 8, 2013 at 12:07 pm #

Sounds like that’s right Lisa. I would just give it a good shake!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Tropical Traditions Coconut Oil Giveaway | following my nose - June 30, 2012

[...] in the first group, and we consume large quantities of the stuff (not just in food, but part of my Coconut Coffee Creamer, on skin and hair, and to brush my teeth with too) I was thrilled that Tropical Traditions was [...]

2. Primal 21-day Challenge: Day 1 « - September 11, 2012

[...] Coconut milk creamer (from this blog). Couple pieces of cantaloupe. 3 eggs scrambled in pastured butter (haven’t made ghee yet, my [...]

3. “Will I end up with scrambled eggs in the bottom of my coffee cup?” « Crossfit Rebels - October 7, 2012

[...] is the question a reader asked Patty, of the Following My Nose blog, when questioned about her infamous Primal Non-Dairy Coffee Creamer. [...]

4. Non-Dairy Coconut Creamer « Five in Tow - October 16, 2012

[...] benefit if I gave up this dead, nutritionally void food.  So, when I came across a recipe for coconut creamer, I thought I’d give it a try.  I didn’t have the exact ingredients, but I tried it [...]

5. Whole30 January Challenge | My Apples of Gold - January 2, 2013

[...] fact, I found this Primal Nondairy Coffee Creamer idea that sounds promising. I’ll try it tomorrow after grocery shopping. However, if [...]

6. Are We Going Vegan? The Food Plan Reveal! | - January 25, 2013

[...] Cheese and yogurt to replace most of our milk consumption And while some habits will remain, I am open to trying out new things like this awesome “creamer” made with coconut milk and egg. [...]

7. The "Eat More (or Moar) Fat" January Challenge - Page 164 | Mark's Daily Apple Health and Fitness Forum page 164 - January 25, 2013

[...] A Primal Non-Dairy Coffee Creamer | following my nose This is an excellent sub for HWC. Reply With [...]

8. Coffee creamer recipe? | Mark's Daily Apple Health and Fitness Forum page - January 26, 2013

[...] [...]

9. Eat More Fat! The Nutritional Ketosis Challenge continues... - Page 41 | Mark's Daily Apple Health and Fitness Forum page 41 - February 4, 2013

[...] and increase fat. I have had some troubles with heavy cream, so I make primal non-dairy creamer A Primal Non-Dairy Coffee Creamer | following my nose. Daily macro goals: Protein: 65-79g Carbs: 36.25g max Fat: 145g fat Calories: 1700-1750 [...]

10. Day 1 Level 3: 21-Day Sugar Detox | onemotherofaday - April 8, 2013

[...] curb my sweet tooth this afternoon I made some coffee with my homemade paleo/21 DSD friendly coffee creamer. To curb my hunger I had a couple teaspoons of sunflower seeds and about 6 tea-infused gelatin [...]

11. Day10: 21DSD: Proudest 2 mile run. | onemotherofaday - April 17, 2013

[...] Pre-breakfast: coffee w/ paleo creamer [...]

12. Day 11: 21-DSD=23 Day Sugar Detox | onemotherofaday - April 18, 2013

[...] Pre-breakfast: coffee w/ paleo creamer [...]

13. I am Crazy for Coconut oil, Join me! (health, beauty, cooking, teeth, deodorant and more) | Natural & Frugal: Raising 6 kids - April 21, 2013

[...] Making Creamer/Whipped cream: Made with coconut milk, coconut oil & egg (& options) Recipes here & here [...]

14. Day 18, 19 & 20: 21-DSD T-minus 3 days!! | onemotherofaday - April 27, 2013

[...] am: coffee w/ paleo creamer [...]

15. Coconut Coffee Creamer- Whole9 approved. | Paleo-Momster - May 20, 2013

[...] Coconut Coffee Creamer- Whole9 approved. [...]

16. Day 3 Foods Recap | Paleo-Momster - May 21, 2013

[...] 7AM:  Coffee with my Coconut Creamer Concotion.   I do consider this breakfast since I do add 2 Tablespoons of the creamy goodness in my cup. [...]

17. Sunday Food Prep: Week of July 7-12 + New Recipe + Cleveland Lockup | onemotherofaday - July 9, 2013

[...] broccoli w/ bacon (side dish) (recipe to follow) [...]

18. Organo Gold – Black Coffee -My 30 day OG Challenge | Natural & Frugal: Raising 6 kids - July 20, 2013

[...] July 20: I love-making different mixtures in my coffee using natural products to give it different health benefits & an extra health kick, & maybe just to get my daily raw coconut oil in, but I also like doing it because it keeps things interesting I am drinking my morning coffee with a 1/2 pack of OG black coffee, a tsp. of Cafix coffee substitute, natural cane sugar to taste & homemade creamer. So what creamer do I use, mine has milk (preferably raw & fresh) a fresh egg from my free range chickens, raw coconut oil, a bit of real vanilla & a bit of natural unrefined pink Himalayan salt in my blender or food processor. My creamer is based on the one in the recipe at the below link, I just change it to suit my whims & build on it sometimes, check it out.  (other ingredients I sometimes add, essential oils, colloidal silver, natural gelatin, raw honey) A Primal Non-Dairy Coffee Creamer (makes a great delicious whipped cream also) Just coconut milk, egg & coconut oil here [...]

19. Coconut Milk Coffee Creamer | Our Family Adventures - September 12, 2013